Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Wednesday Reflection

Glove Prosthetic 
Upon wearing a glove as a residual limb for about half an hour, I feel like I can now *begin* to empathize with people who have actual prostheses. Not being able to function at full capacity in a body part can be incredibly disabling; my right arm was a bit sore from overcompensating by the time I was done. One effect that I didn't expect was psychological, however. I found that I was embarrassed by the glove on my hand. I didn't want my family to see it and start questioning me. I can only begin to imagine how people with actual prostheses feel.


Two Inspiring People
One of the people I selected is Rachel Smith. When I met Rachel, I was immediately struck by her enthusiasm for what she does. She's also passionate about getting others involved in BME, which I find inspiring. I like how she is always pushing us to think creatively, even about seemingly simple tasks. I've learned much of what I know about BME from her, and she makes it sound pretty great.

I also chose David Chen's name. He seems altruistic to me- the way he dedicates much of his time to teaching undergraduates or working with programs like TechGirls. He even offered us a spot in his potentially lucrative project to design a video game controller. His motivation seems to be more complex than money or success and I find that inspiring. 

-Megan