Jade
My mind has been blown by all the people we've gotten to meet who are connected to bio-med engineering in some form or way and are trying to help make the lives of everyone better. Especially for those who lead altered lifestyles, not of their own volition.
I've been inspired by the bio-med students, such as Katherine, Karina, and Liam, who are working in the labs. It's nice to hear that they're choosing to help people because they want to and that there isn't an incentive like money, that drew them there. Philanthropic work like that is very inspiring.
A high point for me has been seeing bio-med engineering in person because it is helping me to see if it's a path I want to follow when I'm older. A low point for me has been how fast the days have gone by since it seems like the camp should be longer and that there's much more to learn.
Melinda
My Bio-Med Tech-Girls experience so far has been great! Seeing all of the different varieties of biomedical engineering has definitely blown my mind. Seeing that many of the BME majors are willing to focus on making designs for individuals instead of trying to earn profit is very inspiring. My high point so far was making the google cardboards and my low point would be missing out on the activities on Monday.
Sekum
It always blows my mind to see how diverse the Bio-Med Engineering field is. It's nice to know that you don't have to have just one specific skill set and that there are a variety of different skills that are compatible with the field. It's also very inspreing to see that there are other women in the field that work in labs daily. The high point of my week has been chatting with the other girls in the program about their future endeavors and how they plan on encorporating this experience into their life.
Grace
I was especially inspired on Wednesday by the possibilities of virtual reality in physical therapy. Using the glasses was an incredible experience, because I had only ever used low-tech versions, and there was a huge difference in quality. I felt that the potential behind the concept is really, really important.
I also really enjoyed constructing prototypes, since it required quick-thinking and problem-solving. I feel that speaking with those in the field is really important in deciding on a career, since it provides a valuable insight to the field.
Thea
My experience with Bio-Med Tech Girls has been very good so far. Everything that we have done whether it be visit labs, talk to doctors, watch Bio Medical Engineering in action, or experience patient care has been a great advance in learning what I may want to do in the future. I thought that using virtual reality to help CB patients was incredibly interesting, and I was really inspired by the work that college students were putting in to help advance the Bio Medical Engineering field. My high point for this camp had to be experiencing virtual reality and learning how it can help patients in so many different ways, and my low point was the lab tour on day three because my interest isn't really in computers and coding.