Bio-Med Tech-Girls is a collaboration with the UVa Department of Biomedical Engineering (BME), St. Anne's-Belfield School and Charlottesville Women in Tech. The experience provides an opportunity for high school students to get a hands-on, behind-the-scenes peek at biomedical research happening right now at UVA.
Tuesday, August 8, 2017
Monday reflection: Sekum
Today was a day of learning! I've been interested in the BME field for a while now however, I never really knew what it consisted of. I have a way better understanding of what the field is and the subunits in it thanks to the presentation today. The computer science presentation was cool as well. I had always thought computer science was just mainly coding but now I know that just like BME there are many subunits included in it and you can use computer science to solve a variety of issues. I was already aware of the lack of girls in stem fields like computer science but it is always nice to see the data backing it up like the charts in the second presentation. I also liked the presentation on epilepsy that our guest speaker gave to us. It was interesting to hear how the improvement in technology over the years has helped her better treat and understand her patients. Learning how to use hummingbird was my favorite part of the day because of the satisfaction I felt at he end when everything started working. I am excited to learn more about the field of BME this week.