Friday, August 11, 2017

Thank You Reflection: Mriganka

First, I'd like to thank Kim, David, Katharine, and Karina for setting up this experience. Your presentations on biomedical engineering, computer science, and virtual reality were very interesting and felt truly relatable, especially when we were given the opportunity to actually create our own technology and experience the design process firsthand (or even try out actual technology, like the virtual reality headsets!). Moreover, you all set up the lab visits, which were extremely interesting and showed me the diversity of the BME field. Again, thank you all so much for setting up this program! Bio-Med Tech-Girls really gave me my first taste of BME, and I feel much more confident in looking at it as a possible degree or career option.

Second, I'd like to thank the various PIs whose labs we visited: Dr. Peirce-Cottler, Dr. Blemker, and Dr. Meyer, as well as Sue Berres, who gave us a tour of the Children's Hospital and brought in a real patient, and Dr. Langer, who came in to present on epilepsy. Specifically, though, I'd like to thank the Peirce-Cottler lab for teaching us about microvasculature and showing us their 3D-Bioprinter in action. It was fascinating to see how it worked, and to imagine that it could regenerate removed tissues in actual human patients by forming microvasculature to redistribute blood supply is truly amazing!