Monday, August 8, 2016

Day 1 Reflection

In the future, biomedical technology is bound to become extremely advanced. I'm excited for the point when mainstream prosthetic limbs achieve or even surpass the abilities of the original. It will probably get to the point where artificial limbs will look no different than normal limbs, which is important because some people are really uncomfortable exposing artificial/amputated limbs. I'm also excited for when bio-med tech gets advanced enough for people with special needs so they could be more easily integrated into modern society and lead easier and happier lives.

Today I had a great time, especially with the Hummingbird and the guest speaker. I've watched my friend use something like the Hummingbird and I was kind of intimidated by all the wires and devices he was using, but now it seems really easy and fun. It's eye-opening for me that something I previously thought difficult was in actuality simple. I really liked the guest speaker because I think it's great how people think of innovative ideas to deal with disabilities. It taught me that getting good care doesn't rely as much on fancy equipment (although it helps a lot) but rather depends more on the therapists that interact with the child and help them grow as well as the perseverance of the parents.

-Victoria H.