Bio-Med Tech-Girls is a collaboration with the UVa Department of Biomedical Engineering (BME), St. Anne's-Belfield School and Charlottesville Women in Tech. The experience provides an opportunity for high school students to get a hands-on, behind-the-scenes peek at biomedical research happening right now at UVA.
Thursday, August 11, 2016
Day 3 Reflection
So far, the camp experience has been great. This is my first time really being exposed to biomedical engineering, and what blew my mind was the vast applications and diversity within the field. I have really loved the lab tours, since that is when I get to see the cutting edge work that is being done by actual biomedical engineers. It was especially cool to see the 3D bio printer, and I can't wait until it becomes more widely used past a research standpoint for helping people. The person who inspired me most is probably a tie between the pediatrician who spoke to us on the first day and Mark Andrews who spoke to us on the second day. The passion that both of them have for helping those who are disabled have a better and more fulfilling life really inspire me to do the same.