- How you felt during the exercise
I really felt like I was stuck and was not able to do anything. The first time i tried to stand up from a couch, it took me a few minutes. I almost gave up because i simply could not get up. There was no where for me to push up from to get me up since I could not get my legs underneath me since they could not bend. When i did finally manage to stand up, I felt very satisfied and happy that I was able to persevere. When sitting down, I kind of did give up - I just fell back onto the couch. While I was sitting down, I watched the olympics for a while, and my legs became exhausted because I had to prop them up on a coffee table. - If/how this assignment impacted your view of cerebral palsy and disabilities in general
I definitely feel like this has helped me understand the feelings associated with disabilities and the frustration they must feel with their bodies. I can also begin to imagine how exhausted they must be from simple activities. I can understand how stuck they must feel in their bodies and how easy it must be for them to want to give up. Finally, I can begin to appreciate the joy they must feel when they complete an action that we take for granted, like standing up from a chair. - Did you like using video? How do you think it adds or subtracts from an assignment?
I feel like the video subtracts because I was more focused on the video than on experiencing the adaptation and thinking about how it made me feel. I also had some trouble getting the videos to upload.
- Ashley D.