Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Empathy Assignment- Tight Quadriceps

1. This exercise made me feel extremely uncomfortable when I tried to move. I was amazed how the denial of knee movement could change every day movements into hard challenges. Although I only remained in the braces for a short amount of time, I can imagine how frustrating the tension can get. It makes mobility very ineffective and causes a simple action to take much longer. The scenario caused me to sympathize about all of the difficult challenges patients with cerebral palsy have to deal with every day.

2. Before completing this activity, I was not aware of how difficult everyday movement could be. In the braces I struggled to do most everything. It was a sad moment when I realized the severity of the case. Patients with cerebral palsy cannot participate in sports or even play play outside with friends without challenges. Even though the disease directly affects patient's physical structures, it isolates them from social aspects as well.

3. I enjoyed the video aspect of the assignment but am disappointed the video does not show up on the blog viewer page. I liked how the video guidelines were very broad so it allowed me to be creative. I think the video adds to the assignment because it is able to show the viewer a description of the experiment and to list tasks patients with cerebral palsy have a hard time completing.

- Jane Romness